Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Woefull Spotlight: Alex Freeman


What would you do if you ever met the great, Bela?

Immediately fake an ankle injury and gingerly jump into his arms.
We hear you're working on a memoir. Care to tell us a bit about that?
Schooled is a humorous, honest and harrowing account of my two years teaching middle school Special Education in Charlotte, North Carolina.  I began the project not knowing the first thing about memoir writing, but knowing my students' dysfunction, wisdom and vitality was too grand to keep to myself.  Check out whatbroughtustothispoint.wordpress.com for working excerpts. 
What do you miss about teaching?

The contact high I'd get each spring morning when marijuana smoke wafted from the hallways into my classroom.  That and inspiring wayward youth. 

What do you have against squirrels?

Squirrels are rats with furry tails that we let run wild.  Plus, they've been known to attack.  Enough said.

No comments:

Post a Comment