Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Woeful Spotlight: Susan Johnston

Besides being stood up, what's the worst date you've ever been on?
In college, the girl in the dorm room next to mine asked if I'd go with her on a double blind date. She sent the guy my high school prom photo and he IM'ed me asking if I had a naked photo to share with him. I was a freshman and had limited dating experience at that point, so I was horrifically embarrassed and told him off via IM. My classmate made him apologize, and she somehow convinced me to go through with the date because she couldn't find anyone to take my place and promised a free movie and dinner at Cheesecake Factory (believe it or not, that was where you took college dates you wanted to impress). I reluctantly agreed, but the date was so awkward that I couldn't wait to get back to my dorm room and the girl stopped talking to me afterwards. 

We hear you're a freelance writer. Tell us about a piece you're extremely proud of. Feel free to include a link to it if you'd like. :)
I covered the wedding of a really amazing couple for PARADE Magazine: http://www.parade.com/health/2010/11/07-only-time-we-have-together-is-right-now.html The magazine flew me to Chicago for 48 hours and I followed the couple throughout their big day (which was cool but kind of felt voyeuristic at times). The groom was terminally ill so there were some interesting challenges to wedding planning; however, the couple was madly in love and I was deeply moved by their commitment to each other. (Oh, and they have a funny first date story if you read the article. The bride was hilariously candid in our interviews!) He died less than two months later, and I cried when I got the email, but I know they were beyond happy to be married to each other, however briefly. 
 
You're about to walk the green mile, what do you have as your last meal?
Definitely cheesecake! (See anecdote above)
 
If you could visit anywhere in the world, where would you go?
Italy. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment